Storytime

Thursday, January 28, 2010

I recently took Caroline and her friend Ella to storytime at the library.

It went swimmingly for the first twenty minutes or so. Caroline LOVES Ella and is typically more mature when they're together.

After the honeymoon period, something snapped inside Caroline's two year old brain, and suddenly all was not well. Here, you can see the look in her eyes. "Hey Ella, I know I'm being nice to you right now and all, but you better buckle up, 'cause that's all about to change, sista'!"

She didn't want to share the puzzles. She didn't want to share the books. And she certainly didn't want to share her mother's lap. I'm so very glad I caught this look on her face.
If you look closely, you can see the puzzle pieces she's clutching behind her back. She's thinking "Maybe if I hide them from Ella, she'll forget I ever took them from her. Plus I'll tilt my chubby little cheeks to the side like this and she'll think I'm so cute, she'll forget all about it. That works with my mommy."
Then came storytime. Here are a few conversations between Caroline and myself.
Here Caroline, place your ticket in the basket so we can go in to storytime.
No.
Do you want to sing?
No.
Look at the bunny!
No.
That was a funny story!
No.
It's time to go. Hold my hand.
No, hold you.
Look, they're going to give you a sticker. Would you like a sticker?
No.
Aah, nothing like a stimulating, thought provoking morning with a two year old.
On the way home:
I like the storytime Mommy! I like the library!
Well, ya coulda fooled me!!

Stinkers. It was all a part of their grand scheme.

2 comments:

Candace said...

too cute! i love the dialogue part. :)

Jordan Reams said...

aw! this was cute. i loves the pictures!