Just the Two of Us

Saturday, July 12, 2008


We thought our July 4th festivities were complete around 11PM on July 4. Anna and I, however, decided to take in a concert and some extra fireworks in Jonesborough on the 5th. This turned out to be such a special evening with Anna. When she is alone with me (and just about any other adult) she magically matures. Ten minutes before we left the house she was a silly little six year old girl. As we drove out of our neighborhood, she transformed into an observant, thoughtful, young lady with these words: "Mom, I'm so glad we're going out just the two of us. Isn't everything so pretty when the sun is almost down and there are plants all around? I love how everything feels so cozy and warm." This started our evening off well.
When we got to Jonesborough we parked on Main St. and lazily walked through the Jonesborough Days vendors until we arrived at the Trey Hensley concert. Some of you may not know that we have such a talented, young (he just graduated from high school) musician local to our area. He put on a great show.
Following the concert we enjoyed a root beer and a trip to the Lollipop Shop. My favorite part of the evening was waiting for the fireworks to begin. We spread out a blanket, sat down and chatted for awhile. The conversation we had was just so pleasant. She even commented on how she missed Luke and how he would have enjoyed the evening too. Just as I was thinking about how much Anna was growing up, she hopped off the blanket to dance to some music and catch fireflies. All of a sudden, she was a little girl. What an amazing, wonderful point in life. She can easily enjoy moving from young lady to little girl. She doesn't know she's changing and maturing. She's simply enjoying it.
When the fireworks began, Anna laid her head down on my lap and "oohed" and "aahed" over her favorite glittery fireworks. I, on the other hand, spent most of the time looking at Anna, playing with her hair, and "oohing" and "aahing" over the little beauty with her head on my lap.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a sweet post. Thank you for that. I feel the same way about Jocelyn. I was snuggled up beside her watching he sleep the other night thinking, "where did that tiny baby girl go?" I just try to embrace each moment and treasure the phase of life she is in. It passes all too quickly!

Ryan said...

Nice post babe. Yous wroot good!!! This post made me cry. Thanks a lot.