Budding Author

Tuesday, March 10, 2009



I love noticing little things about the kids that make each one unique.

Here's a taste of Anna:
Anna will never leave me alone without asking "Mommy, will you be lonely?"
She cries at least three times a day.
She LOVES school.
She is very cautious while riding her bike and will rarely let off the brake.
She gets white milk in the cafeteria because it's healthier even though she likes chocolate better.
She reads her Bible at night with a flash light under the covers.
She writes long, creative stories but can't spell worth a lick.
She adores one on one time with family members and asks for it frequently.
She loves every extracurricular activity she has tried even if she's not particularly good at it.
She'll eat anything.

And now Luke:
Luke never wears underwear. Honestly, the next time you see him, I dare you to check.
He gets very scared by movies that would not scare most kids. (Last year's VBS video, for example.)
He is tender hearted and compassionate but doesn't show it in public.
He screams bloody murder at the thought of feeling pain.
He's as smart as a whip. Ask him any perfect square root you can think of and he'll figure it in 5 seconds or less. No joke.
Luke is dumbfounded by the thought of getting white milk when chocolate is within reach and Mom's nowhere to be seen.
He goes top speed on his bike and scooter until he collapses from exhaustion.
He is ever so slightly arrogant.
He just turned six and still sucks his thumb.
He loves to make people laugh. He makes up jokes and occasionally comes up with one that is funny.
He's very concerned for Caroline's safety and will scream if she does anything dangerous.

Here's Caroline:
She asks "What's that?" no less than 1 trillion times each day.
She holds her own with big brother and sister and sometimes even bullies them.
She likes to sing, and oh, this is the sweetest sound ever.
Next to "What's that?" her next favorite phrase is "I hungy." She eats A LOT.
She loves to sit in someone's lap and read the same books over and over.
She likes to know where everyone is. "Anna home?" "Daddy go?" "Oh, ok."
She goes to sleep holding her favorite blanket and sucking her thumb.
She loves hairs. She'll pull one off the hairbrush, wrap it around her fingers, then stroke it while she sucks her thumb. Yes, that is weird.
And the reason for the photos above: Caroline loves to lie on the floor and write. She holds the pencil perfectly and scribbles away.

3 comments:

Candi said...

Beth! I don't know if I'm just having a weird day or what, but your "lists" had me going from laughing to crying to laughing all over again. They are so sweet. Hold onto those little lists because your kids will cherish seeing that kind of stuff when they're older. Anyway, I'm going to go blow my nose now...

Beth said...

Candi,
If you were having a weird day, so was I. I get really emotional writing this stuff too.

Jordan Reams said...

I enjoyed reading the lists. It made me realize how much I've missed in your lives and how much I've misssed you all. I can't believe how much Anna, Luke, and Caroline have grown. I'm going to stop now before I tear up again. I miss and love you all. Hope to see you soon.