Country Music Video

Friday, May 30, 2008


I had several short-lived part time jobs as a high school student. The most memorable, by far, was when I held the position of stall cleaner outer at a local horse farm. It was my job to stop by after school several days a week and scoop poop. Sounds like drudgery, but I actually loved it for a time. I was never a huge country music fan, but I did like a few of the hits, namely Shania Twain's "Any Man of Mine." I embraced the role of southern belle on a horse farm while scooping the poop and belting out Shania's truths. However, tragedy struck one day when I was cleaning the stall of a massive stallion that was worth about 10 zillion bucks. Evidentially, I left the stall door open a little too far. When he noticed this he bolted, nearly killing me in the process. He ran fast. He ran far. I ran fast to the owner's home for some help. After some yelling, cussing, and whipping on the part of the owner, the horse was safely returned to his stall. I was in tears. They never called me to come back. I've been scared of horses ever since.
All these fond memories came rushing back when we took our youth group to a local horse farm a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. We had to stay inside to ride because of the nasty weather, but everyone enjoyed the beautiful horses anyway. Anna and Luke had a great time. Honestly, though, the minute they brought out a huge stallion, my heart started pounding a mile a minute and I was so relieved when it was time to leave.

0 comments: